History O F
It was back in September 1957 when like-minded rugby league enthusiasts gathered a meeting together and set on the path of purchasing a property to develop a licensed Leagues Club. From small beginnings, the club was started in what was one of the oldest homes in Griffith on the same site the Southside club stands today. Slowly the old house underwent changes to accommodate the club style required and became a drinking hole of choice for the 242 inaugural members and their guests.
The Griffith Leagues Club is well known and recognised in association with rugby league and still to this day football remains the central part of the club. The rugby league administrators were in charge of the club in the starting years. Enthusiasm and motivation were the key element of running the club. Many of the first presidents, treasurers and managers were astute businessmen in their chosen field as well as avid football fans.